Monday, March 18, 2013

Recipe Repost: Low-Fat Sun Dried Tomato & Garlic Cream Pasta

Let's get one thing straight. I love pasta. It's an instant comfort food and easy weeknight meal. When smothered with the right sauce, it can be absolutely satisfying and divine.


Lately, though, I feel as if I had a bad break up with pasta. It's like the ex-carb of my love life. While writing this post, I realized that I haven't had any pasta for several months. Not even kidding, I think it's been since the spring of 2012. As I was watching my weight for my wedding, I reduced my simple carbohydrate consumption. Now, per doctor's orders, I am abstaining from eating wheat and gluten foods due to health reasons (related to my resignation from teaching).

To sum it up, I miss pasta. Sometimes I open up my pantry and look for the box of penne that once stood graciously in the back. I feel like I am looking for a ghost. The once-love-of-my-life. Sigh. Like all breakup's, I knew it was the right choice, it's just harder to move on than I expected. Oh, pasta. You'll never really know how much you I love you, still.

In honor of my ex-carb, I am reposting one of my favorite recipes I have made for an amazing pasta dish. The sauce for this dish is creamy and dreamy. Don't tell anyone that it's low-fat and they won't know the difference. Bon Appetit!


Sun-Dried Tomato & Garlic Cream Sauce
reposted from my old blog, "Yumology"
makes enough for approx. 1/3 lb of cooked pasta

3 tbsp unsalted butter
7 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp all-purpose flour
2 cups fat-free milk
1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes (I used a variation that was soaking in olive oil, but drained the oil)
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1. In a medium sauce pan, heat the butter on medium heat. When melted, add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. Add the flour and whisk into the butter and garlic until a doughy texture is formed (this is your roux). Slowly pour and whisk in the milk until mixture is combined. Cook on medium heat while whisking continuously until sauce thickens (approx. 5-6 minutes). Add and stir in  the sun-dried tomatoes, cheese, salt, and pepper. Stir constantly and cook  for an additional 2 minutes. Turn off heat and add cooked pasta; toss pasta to coat in the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment