Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Blackberry, Lemon, and Thyme "Power" Scones

To My Dearest Friend,

I know how busy your weekdays can be. I've seen you stumble out of bed after hitting the snooze 3-4 times followed by a mad rush to get ready and make it out the door on time so you're not late for work. Don't think I've forgotten about how many times you forgot to eat breakfast on the way out because your protein shake blender was dirty, you didn't have time to make oatmeal, or you had some other lame excuse (like you had to take 5 minutes to curl your hair). When you do that I get into the craziest moods at around 9:00 A.M-- I'm sure you've heard me growl at you (I get cranky, okay?).

You'd think after a few days like that during the week, you'd learn to treat me right. However, munching on a slice of whole-wheat bread with almond butter just doesn't always cut it-- neither does your desperate attempt for protein and carbs with your slice of turkey in a wheat tortilla! Sustanance- smushtanance! I need something that satisfies my taste buds, keeps me full, and is good for me and the rest of the gang (your waist and thighs say, "Hi").

 I hope by now, you see understand how awful this problem is. Well, I don't find it noble to complain without being proactive so, fortunately for you, I've provided you with a recipe for some Blackberry, Lemon, and Thyme "Power" Scones that are packed with protein, fiber, have plenty of "good" carbs, and are low in fat. They even have those chia seeds everyone has been talking about, which are supposed to be loaded with all kinds of nutrients your body can benefit from. Also, these scones taste delicious-- like summer in my mouth (well, your mouth), actually. Please make these today-- if you do, I'll see what I can do about not storing that ice cream you ate last night on your arms.

Yours Truly,
Belly


Blackberry, Lemon, and Thyme "Power" Scones
makes 1 dozen scones

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups dark rye flour
1/2 cup chia seeds (grounding using a spice mill is optional)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup half and half
3/4 cup reduced fat buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp  lemon zest
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
6 oz fresh blackberries
1/4 cup raw sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare two baking sheets with silicone liners or parchment paper.

1. Combine the whole wheat pastry flour, rye flour, chia seeds, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Combine the half and half, buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest, and thyme in another bowl. Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just partially combined. 

2. Place the mixture onto a lightly floured surface. Flour your hands and knead it until the dough starts to form (it will be sticky). Flatten it out slightly and scatter 1/3 of the blackberries on top of the dough; gently fold and knead the dough again to combine-- repeat with the remaining berries. 

3. Form the dough, with your hands, into a 10 x 6 inch rectangle. Cut it in half down the length and then in thirds across the width. Cut each square in half diagonally to make triangles-- you should get 12 triangles. Transfer the triangles to prepared baking sheets with about 2 1/2 - 3 inches of space between each. Brush the top of the scones with a little half and half; sprinkle raw sugar over the tops of each. Bake the scones for about 30 minutes and rotate the pan halfway through the baking time. Scones should be golden brown; remove and let cool on a rack before eating. Store in airtight container(s).

*These scones are best when eaten within 2 days of baking-- any longer and they will tend to try out.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds way too hard for me! I will try to make the almond butter cookies during our 2 week break! Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete