Thursday, May 2, 2013

DIY: Gilded Cake Numbers...and big news!

There's nothing like a classic number topper on a birthday cake for a special person. However, the more commonly found wax candle numbers found in the grocery store can be pretty boring. For one of my loveliest friends, I sought out to make her a little birthday cake with a twist on the ol' number toppers.

DIY: Gilded Cake Numbers
Materials:
store bought cake wax numbers
tape
scissors
metallic gold acrylic paint
gold glitter paint
paint brush
egg crate (the texture allows the numbers to dry without losing half the paint to the surface you place them on)

Instructions:
1. Use a small piece of tape to cover the bottom of each number. This part goes into the cake-- you want to avoid covering it in paint.
2. With scissors, cut the wick of the candle off as close to the base as possible. Since you will be painting it with acrylic, it won't be safe to light them anyway (these will simply be for decoration).
3. Paint all sides of each number with a coat of metallic gold paint. Set it aside on the egg crate to dry for about 1 hour.
4. Once the first coat has dried, brush on the glitter paint over each number. Set aside and dry for at least 2 hours. After the paint is dry to the touch, remove the tape and place on your cake as desired.


....also, on another note. If you don't follow me on Instagram or are a friend on my personal Facebook, you may not know, but I've got big news over here!
Yep, I am going to Baking and Patisserie School at The Art Institute! I start July and I am feeling very excited and blessed. Never did I expect one of my dreams would actually come true, especially after going through such a huge and difficult career change back in January. It is such a different experience approaching my college and higher education when my heart is beating with passion for the area of study. Although I will miss parts of my teaching days, I know I will always be an educator and my background in the field will continue to shape my future.

The program is about 2 years and I have big plans afterwards! I am sure I will keep you all posted as the months go by. Eeek!

No comments:

Post a Comment