Thursday, May 9, 2013

Fresh Grapefruit Curd

 When I was a child, I was not a fan of grapefruit. I actually remember my first taste of grapefruit juice at an IHOP restaurant-- I ordered it with my kids meal expecting it to taste like grapes. Surprised by its bitter and tart flavor, I immediately decided I did not like the pink citrus fruit.
 Now as an adult, I am still not a huge fan of grapefruit, it has grown on me more over the years. I will admit to making too many sounds of "MMM" when eating half a grapefruit with some agave or honey out of a bowl. When it's the season for them, juicy pink grapefruits can be pretty satisfying. Sometimes.
 However, there are some other exceptions to my enjoyment of this tart fruit. I enjoy Hansen's grapefruit soda and grapefruit sour gummy candies. So much for the fresh and real deal, right?
 Okay, I have one more exception...fresh grapefruit curd.
 Why does curd have to always be about the lemons? I mean lemons are great and lemon curd is delicious, but they need to move over for their pink cousins.

Grapefruit curd? Seriously. Good. Stuff. Enjoy it with some creamy Greek yogurt, cakes, muffins, pancakes, waffles...the possibilities are endless! Sweet, tart, and a lovely peachy-pink hue. What's not to love?
Fresh Grapefruit Curd
makes about 3 cups

2 1/2 tbsp grapefruit zest (about 3 grapefruits)
1 1/2 cups white granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, room temperature 
4 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 tsp rose water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup fresh grapefruit juice
*1 drop of peach and 1 drop of soft pink (AmeriColor Brand) food gel coloring (optional)

1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the grapefruit zest, sugar, and salt until well combined. Use a hand mixer and beat in the butter until it has creamed together with the sugar. Slowly add one egg at a time and then add in the three yolks. Add the rose water and vanilla. Beat on low and slowly pour in the grapefruit juice. Add the optional food coloring (I use this to bring out more of the grapefruit color). Continue to beat on low for about 3-4 minutes (everything will appear curdled...don't worry-- this is normal).

2. Transfer the mixture into a small sauce pot. With the heat on low, use a rubber spatula to constantly stir the mixture. Be sure to scrape the bottom every once in awhile during the process. Continue until the curd starts a low boil. The mixture should become thick and coat the back of the spatula. This process should take about 10 minutes.

3. Immediately turn off the heat and transfer the curd to a clean jar, bowl, or any container you plan on storing it in. Allow the curd to cool completely before sealing/covering. Keep refrigerated and enjoy as desired. :)

*Note: Cooked curd should last awhile in the fridge-- to avoid any mold or bacteria from growing, make sure the storage container and any utensils used to spread the curd are clean from other foods.



No comments:

Post a Comment